Friday 29 May 2009

每日一词学英语(31): rain check

Times上介绍了20大省钱密技(20 money saving tips you've never heard before),第4条是:Ask for a "rain check" voucher。

Rain check: Any voucher or note from a merchant to a customer to provide an item the merchant has run out of at a later date for the item's current price, or (in a more literal sense) to provide a service at a later date. 延期、留作下次继续用的票根。源于1889年以前,因下雨比赛延期而发给美国棒球迷的新票。可以指任何可以让过期的票券重新有效的票根。

I'll take a rain check (American, British & Australian informal); also I'll get a rain check (American informal)是一种引申用法,指something that you say when you cannot accept someone's invitation to do something but you would like to do it another time (often + on ),再给一次机会。

I'll take a rain check on that drink tonight, if that's all right.
I won't play tennis this afternoon but can I get a rain check? (American informal)

No comments:

Post a Comment